Sunday, March 2, 2008

Smile! You are on Candid Camera!

I decided at the last moment to make a quick run to the local Target during my lunch hour. I had visited all my favorite sections, spending much too time in the gardening center. Here it is, the last day of February, it's snowing like the U.P. and I'm standing in the gardening section daydreaming of gardens to come. So now, I'm late, I make a quick dash to the girl's clearance rack to see if there is anything for my 12 year old who has taken an affinity to growing. I don't really see anything. Then out of nowhere I hear a voice ask me if I am in a hurry. Well, actually I am. I spent all that time daydreaming in the gardening section, after all. But I return the question with another question, what is it that you need? I see a pleasant, benevolent looking man in a motorized shopping cart. He asks me if I can help him try on flip-flops--excuse me? have you been outside? I feel like we are living in a snow globe and you are asking me to help you put on flip-flops? but, yes, that is exactly what he is asking. Ooookkkaaaay, I respond as my 12 year old says when she's unsure of something. Yes, I was unsure, but to the floor I go as I remove the smiling man's shoes and then his socks. And now the flip-flops go on. By now I am wondering if he has made a bet that he can get someone to do this, or maybe Allen Funt is filming this occurrence. Or perhaps this gentleman is a college professor performing a social experiment, and now I have become the guinea pig. Or maybe he is on some senior citizen scavenger hunt: find a fool to remove your shoes and socks and put on the flip-flops, and oh, by the way, 25 extra points if you get them to put on some that Burt's Bee's cream-- the one that smells sweet like coconut and honey. I quickly put on his socks and shoes and wish him well. Good luck I say, on your trip to Florida with your new flip-flops. I am left wondering, what was that all about and why me?

1 comment:

suzanne said...

Dear Lourdes, I know that you wrote this at the beginning of the month, but I am just reading it now on the eve of Holy Thursday and in my mind I am seeing images of priests kneeling to wash the feet of their congregants, and Jesus washing the feet of his followers, and you kneeling down to take the shoes and socks off of this poor man who, I am sure, wishes that he didn't have to ask for help. Sometimes God's children need flip flops, and thank the Lord for angels like you hanging around Target. You are beautiful person. Thank you for telling this story.