Monday, February 22, 2010

the promise of spring

I know, I know, we are in midst of the season's worst snow storm. Mama Nature has waved her wand over Metro Detroit and snow is falling mercilessly. We are covered in a white blanket, almost 8 inches thick!

But it doesn't matter. Why? because I have seen the promise of spring.

Yesterday, before the snow began to fall, I was in my sleeping garden. But believe me she is sleeping no more. My garden has started to stir as she does at this time every year. She is turning over and kicking off the winter, stretching her long legs and waving her arms. In February the deep sleep begins to lift and and life begins to unfold. She is stretching and yawning, slowly sending shoots up. My tulips are peeking above the ground, along with the crocuses, hyacinths and daffodils. They are surveying the early dawn of spring, waiting for that long stretch of sun and tepid weather to grow a little more. My lilac bush, the one that gives my senses so much pleasure and joy with her fragrant purple flowers has swelling branches and pregnant buds. It's just a matter of time. My roses are also getting ready to showcase their royal and majestic beauty with their hues of various pinks and apricot colours. The robins are preparing to leave the warmth of Central America where they spend their winter to visit us again. I hear the birds at the birdfeeder chirping and chatting about spring as well. Before long they will be busy building their nests, welcoming their new chirpers and chatterers. Soon my garden with its many colours and florid scents will invite the monarch butterflies and tropical hummingbirds to hover amongst her blooms. Yes spring is in the air, and so is love, as we have received the first wedding invitation of the season; Congratulations Gerry and Ying! Thank you for bringing the formal announcement of spring!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your entry Lourdes! I needed that on this snowy cold day.Great writing style too.
Alex B.

Lourdes' Space said...

Thank you Alex!!!!

suzanne said...

Ah, this is so lovely, and so full of hope. Beautifully written and so welcome on this February in Michigan day! Thank you!
Love,
Suzanne